Communications Internship Program
The Columbia Heights Public Schools Communications Department began offering a Communications Internship in 2019 -- one during the summer months and another during the duration of the school year. The Communications Intern is a valued member of the Communications team and does a wide variety of work in general communications, digital communications, marketing, public relations, social media and more.
Communications Intern (Spring 2020)
Job Title: Communications Intern
Salary: Unpaid, School Credit
Job Type: Internship
Reports to: Communications Coordinator and Communications Director
Location: Columbia Heights Public Schools District Center, 1440 49th Ave NE, Columbia Heights, MinnesotaColumbia Heights Public Schools seeks Communications Intern to assist the Communications Department beginning January 2020. Flexible start date. 15-20 hours per week, Tuesdays-Thursdays. Opportunity to extend internship into the summer.The Communications Department works to find opportunities to promote Columbia Heights Public Schools and the success of staff and students within the District and community. The Communications Department is responsible for all strategic communications including publication of all District newsletters and marketing materials; media and community relations; marketing and advertising of District activities and opportunities; graphic design; and maintaining the District's website.The Communications Department also helps other District departments and schools identify what information and messages should be conveyed to the District's audiences and surrounding community and ensure it is done in the most effective and appropriate way.Duties:
- Assist with web management and updates.
- Assist with workplan charting and progress of the department as it relates to the District's mission statement, core values and comprehensive communications plan.
- Assist with video production projects including gathering B-roll, conducting interviews, editing, distribution and more.
- Assist with the production of electronic and print collateral, including online visuals, flyers, posters, programs, advertisements, internal brochures and other related public relations and/or marketing materials.
- Assist with general graphic design needs, including but not limited to social media imaging, marquee imaging, print collateral and website.
- Assist with web analytics of district website and social media, including the compilation of regular reports.
- Write, edit and distribute press releases, media advisories and feature stories.
- General photography.
- Facilitate positive, working relationships with other departments and school administration to encourage continued collaborative efforts to benefit students, staff and the community at large.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional communication skills (oral and writing)
- Pursuing or completed major in communications, public relations, marketing or related field
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Beginner/Intermediate understanding of Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Video production experience
- Graphic design and print experience
- Must complete an AP Style Assessment
- Eligible to receive college credit for internship hours preferred
- Must complete background check paid for by Communications Department
University of St. Thomas